Gluteus Maximus, Quadriceps
Adductor Magnus, Soleus
- Set the Smith machine bar to just under shoulder height.
- Stand under the bar with the bar across the back of your shoulders, and grasp it at both sides.
- Unlatch the bar by rotating it, and stand erect to lift it off the rack.
- Take a step forward and stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, with your feet pointing slightly out to the sides.
- Keeping your back straight and your torso upright, inhale as you lower the bar by flexing your hips and knees. Descend until your thighs are at least parallel with the floor.
- Exhale as you push the bar back up by extending your hips and knees, driving through your heels.